One of the biggest nightmares a homeowner can face is when a pipe freezes and bursts. You will definitely need to call in a residential plumber like us. And as a residential plumber in Edina, we have a few suggestions on what to do when a pipe bursts while you’re waiting for us to arrive.
- Make sure you shut off your water immediately after you notice a pipe has frozen or burst. Turn the water off at the main water shut-off valve. If you don’t know where that is, find out before you encounter an emergency situation like this. And depending on the amount of water that has flooded out and the location of the burst pipe, you might want to shut the electricity off too. And if the water that is leaking is hot water, be sure to close the valve attached to your hot water heater.
- Call a residential plumber like the ones here at All Ways Drains. Even if the weather outside is frightful and it’s snowing or sleeting, we will still come to your home to help. Just remember it might take our residential plumber longer than usual to get to your home. But we will still come out for emergency calls, no matter what the weather is like.
- Do NOT attempt to thaw the pipe yourself. This includes using a hair dryer, open flame or another heat source. Leave the pipe as it is until one of our residential plumbers can get there.
- Do NOT turn the water back on for any reason. Leave it alone until our residential plumber arrives. The residential plumber will tell you if and when you should turn the water back on.
- When our residential plumber comes to your home, we will repair or replace the burst pipe as quickly as possible.
- Take an inventory of the damage your home sustained from the broken pipe and call your insurance company to get more instructions on what to do from there.
- Start airing out the affected area. Use fans if possible, and leave windows and doors open to help speed up the drying process.
If you need a residential plumber in Edina, call All Ways Drains. And do not hesitate to call us if a pipe bursts and you need a residential plumber out to your house as soon as possible. Contact us at 612-922-9422 or you can get a Free Estimate.