While many plumbing projects involve calling a professional and licensed plumber, there are also some DIY plumbing projects you can do on your own. We specialize in plumbing in Shoreview and the surrounding areas, and we have a few suggestions on what you should (and should not!) do when tackling your next plumbing project, as well as a few basic rules about how to properly use your garbage disposal and other water-using appliances.
- No matter what kind of plumbing repair you are working on, even if you are just trying to unclog your toilet, it is a good idea to shut the water off before you begin your work. You should shut it off at the main water valve or in the localized valves that are found near your toilets or sinks. You do not want water to come gushing out and possibly causing a lot of damage.
- When working on your toilet or another type of plumbing appliance like that, it can be tempting to flush the trash and leftover waste down your toilet, rather than throwing it away in your trash can. Resist this temptation! The only two things that should be flushed down your toilet are human waste and toilet paper. Flushing anything else down your toilet can backfire and cause you to need to call in a professional plumber.
- If you want to avoid having your garbage disposal repaired or replaced, follow a few basic rules: do not throw grease or fat down your kitchen drain, do not put “stringy” vegetables down there (celery for example) and do not put starchy foods down there either. When you run your garbage disposal, use cold water and run it for at least ten minutes at a time.
- With winter coming, it is time to winterize your pipes to ensure they do not freeze. A frozen pipe can burst, and a burst pipe is definitely not a do-it-yourself plumbing repair!
- If you try to tackle a plumbing repair on your own and you end up not being sure how to fix it, or if you somehow end up making it worse, do not hesitate to call us for plumbing help. Even jobs that look simple can end up being a bit trickier than you expected.
Do you want more information on plumbing in Shoreview and the surrounding areas? Call All Ways Drains at 612-922-9422, or you can contact us to get a Free Estimate.