A clogged drain in your Minneapolis home can be a pain. And sometimes, harsh drain cleaners can do more harm than good to your plumbing and pipes. One of the best and safest ways to clean out a clogged drain is with vinegar. Here are a few simple steps you can take to clean out a clogged drain using this multipurpose cleaner.
- The first thing you need to do for the clogged drain is to allow the water to drain out. This might take awhile, but the vinegar solution will be more effective if you let all of the water drain out. However, sometimes this might not be possible if the drain is completely clogged.
- Next, make your clogged drain cleaner. You can use vinegar and baking soda (1/2 cup of baking soda and 1/2 cup of white vinegar) or salt, borax and vinegar (1/4 cup of salt, 1/4 of borax and 1/2 cup of vinegar). Do not mix them before you pour them down the clogged drain. Just pour them in one by one.
- Then cover the drain and let the mixture sit for about a half hour or so. (You can cover the drain with a tub stopper or with a hot cloth.)
- Get a small sink-size plunger and put it on top of the clogged drain. Create a seal and then push the plunger up and down. You can increase the plunger’s effectiveness by filling up the sink or tub with water.
- If you suspect the clogged drain is a result of built-up hair, you can use a metal coat hanger to pull the hair out. Just be careful not to scratch the sink or tub.
- You can also use a drain snake on a clogged drain. These tools are easily available at your local hardware store. Simply feed the snake into the drain. As soon as it’s stuck, turn the cable so it catches the clog. Then slowly pull the snake back out. Just be careful because the metal can be sharp, so take care that you don’t scratch yourself or your sink or tub.
If this solution doesn’t work, give us a call here at All Ways Drains. We can come to your home and unclog your clogged drain so your water is flowing and draining again as it should be.
For help with clogged drains in Minneapolis, call us at 612-922-9422 or you can contact us for a Free Estimate.